Cathy is a Partner at OKT LLP. Her practice is focussed on litigation and negotiations on behalf of First Nations across Canada, related to Aboriginal and treaty rights, including the duty to consult and accommodate. Cathy has represented clients in various proceedings, including a provincial inquest into an in-custody death, judicial review proceedings, and environmental assessment and review hearings. She also advises clients on employment matters and governance administration. She received her LL.B. from Osgoode Hall Law School, and she also has a Masters of Environmental Studies.
While at law school, Cathy was a senior editor of the Osgoode Hall Law Journal and she volunteered at Osgoode’s Community LEGAL AID Services Program, and Downsview Legal Aid Clinic. She has also worked with the Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources (CIER), working on projects dealing with the duty to consult and accommodate, and indigenous environmental laws. Prior to law, Cathy worked in international development and she has a background in journalism.
Cathy is a member of the Ontario bar.
- "Making First Nations financial transparency fair", OKT Blog, October 28, 2015
- “Managing lands for treaty rights: strategies for the duty to consult and cumulative impacts“, presentation at As Long as the Rivers Flow, treaty rights conference, 2014.
- "Supreme Court releases decision in Keewatin", with Senwung Luk, OKT Blog, July 11, 2014
- “Redefining “Negotiation”: Court Blasts Crown For Unilateral Control of Specific Claims”, OKT Blog, January 31, 2014.
- Presentation, “Reconciliation and Infringement of Aboriginal and Treaty Rights: What is ‘Justified’?”, December 9, 2013, The Commons Institute’s Mawai’omi: Investing in Aboriginal Canada Conference.
- “West Moberly Supreme Court of Canada Denied Leave to Appeal”, OKT Blog, February 28, 2012.
- Presentation, “A General Introduction to the Duty to Consult and Accommodate, (with Roger Townshend), 2012, The Commons Institute.
- “BC Court of Appeal takes a step forward in West Moberly”, OKT Blog, June 1, 2011.
- Cathy Guirguis (with K. Huda, S. Rahman), “Social Capital and What it Represents: The Experience of the Ultra-Poor in Bangladesh” (2008) 1:3 Journal of Power at 295.
- Cathy Guirguis (with S. Allen & Merrell-Ann Phare), “Consulting with the Crown: A Guide for First Nations” (2007) Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources.
- Cathy Guirguis, “Colonial Structures, Displacement & Re-Location: First Nations in the Canadian Legal Context” (2007) York University, Faculty of Environmental Studies.
- Senior Editor, Osgoode Hall Law Journal, (2007) 44:3, 44:4, 45:1, 45:2 Osgoode LJ.
- Cathy Guirguis (with K. Huda & S. Rahman), “Building Social Capital for the Ultra Poor: Challenges and Achievements” CFPR-TUP Working Paper Series No. 6, Dhaka, Bangladesh: BRAC/Aga Khan Foundation of Canada, 2005 (Paper presented at Social Capital: Definition, Measurement, Applications, The Social Capital Foundation, Malta, September 20-22, 2005).