Cette biographie est uniquement disponible en anglais.
Corey Shefman is an associate at OKT focusing on litigation and advocacy in court and at administrative tribunals.
Prior to joining OKT in December 2016, Corey practiced at a boutique Aboriginal litigation firm in Winnipeg, Manitoba, with a focus on Aboriginal law and human rights law. He has appeared or made submissions at every level court in Manitoba, as well as the Federal Court, Federal Court of Appeal and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.
Corey has worked with clients to resolve a wide variety of disputes, including
- Bringing a defamation action against a prominent online commenter who had targeted a community leader with racist comments;
- Expanding the scope of an Inquest to consider the role that systemic racism played in the death;
- Internal governance disputes;
- Disputes related to employment issues.
Corey has also represented First Nations and Indigenous organizations at regulatory tribunals, including Manitoba's Public Utilities Board and Clean Environment Commission.
Corey has been called to the Bar in both Manitoba and Ontario, and acts for clients in both provinces.
Corey grew up just north of Toronto. He received his BA from McGill University, an MA from Cardiff University in the UK and his LLB from the University of Manitoba. In his free time, Corey enjoys baking sourdough bread, and reading and watching science fiction. Corey can often be found working on political or social justice campaigns.
- Civil Litigation
- Aboriginal rights litigation
- Inquests and Regulatory tribunals
- Human Rights Law
- Employment Law
- New Israel Fund of Canada – Board of Directors – 2016 – Present
- Manitoba Association for Rights and Liberties – Past President
- Law Society of Manitoba – Student Bencher (2012-2013)
Interviews and Op-Eds
- "Human rights lawyer calls for public inquiry after 5 inmate deaths" - (Interview) CBC
- "Father of man shot by police 'touched' by apology" - (Interview) Winnipeg Free Press
- "Time to address systemic inequality" - (op-ed) Winnipeg Free Press
- "Craig McDougall inquest will consider systemic racism within Winnipeg Police" - (interview) Winnipeg Free Press
- "Disabled soldier sues over dismissal" - (interview) Winnipeg Free Press
- The Disabled Professional: Duties and Obligations on a Licensing Body to Accommodate, Corey Shefman & Garth Smorang Q.C., (Winnipeg: Law Society of Manitoba, 2013)