Gillian Paul is an associate at OKT practicing in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Gillian is Maliseet from the Tobique First Nation in New Brunswick.
Gillian’s practice primarily includes negotiations and litigation involving Aboriginal and treaty rights, including Aboriginal title and the duty to consult and accommodate. Gillian also regularly works on environmental assessment reviews as well as other federal and provincial regulatory review processes. Gillian advises First Nations on Indian Act matters and economic development and corporate/commercial transactions, including negotiations with governments and proponents. Gillian has also advised on the establishment and maintenance of not-for-profit corporations owned by First Nations or operated by Aboriginal people and assisted in Human Rights litigation involving Charter equality rights.
Gillian received her Juris Doctorate from the University of New Brunswick in Fredericton. Prior to attending law school, Gillian attended both high school and university in the United States on athletic scholarships, where she competed in Women’s Ice Hockey at various National and International levels. Gillian is an Advisory Circle Member for the Right to Play, Promoting Life-skills in Aboriginal Youth (PLAY) program.
Gillian is a member of the Ontario Bar and the New Brunswick Bar.
- Gillian Paul, “TRC@!: The Power of Sport” (2 June 2016) Olthuis, Kleer, Townshend LLP (blog)
- Nancy J. Kleer and Gillian Paul, “The Honour of the Crown Means Honouring the Treaties” (10 May 2016) Olthuis, Kleer, Townshend LLP (blog)
- Nancy J. Kleer and Gillian Paul, “The Honour of the Crown, Dirt Roads, Boil Water Advisories and Self-Government: The Fiscal Relationship between the Crown and First Nations” (Paper delivered at Canadian Bar Association Aboriginal Law Conference, Ottawa, 6 May 2016), [unpublished]
- Gillian Paul, “New FCA Decision Creates Dangerous Loophole to the Duty to Consult and Accommodate” (24 November 2015) Olthuis, Kleer, Townshend LLP (blog)
- Gillian Paul and Ashley Hamp-Gonsalves, “Inadequacies in NEB Process Raises Important Questions about the Energy East Project” (29 September 2015) Olthuis, Kleer, Townshend LLP (blog)
- Renée Pelletier and Gillian Paul, “A Primer on the Constitutional Duty to Consult” (18 October 2013) Olthuis, Kleer, Townshend LLP (blog)
- Gillian Paul, “Supreme Court Dismisses Case Challenging Nisga’a Agreement” (11 October 2013) Olthuis, Kleer, Townshend LLP (blog)