Oliver MacLaren is a Partner at OKT. Oliver works across Canada advising First Nations on economic development and corporate / commercial transactions. This includes the negotiation of impact benefit agreements in the natural resources sector and transactional work arising from aboriginal partnerships in the renewable energy and electricity sectors.
Before joining OKT, Oliver practiced at a prominent aboriginal law firm in Calgary. He has appeared before energy and utilities regulatory hearings, superior and appellate levels of Court in Alberta and Ontario, and has contributed to written submissions before the Supreme Court of Canada.
Oliver received his J.D. from the University of Calgary, where he served as associate editor-in-chief of the petroleum law edition of the Alberta Law Review. During law school, Oliver worked closely with the chief negotiator of the indian residential schools settlement, completing research on the framework for a Canadian truth and reconciliation commission, and the distribution of $1.9 billion in reparations money.
Oliver is a member of the Ontario and Alberta bars.
- “Community Growth and Sustainability: Creating Sovereign Wealth” Oliver MacLaren, OKT, and Jack Jamieson, T.E. Wealth, presentation for the AFOA Canada Inaugural International Conference, October 2017 (Vancouver)
- Guest Lecture, “Indigenous Law Issues in Commercial Law”, Commercial Law Intensive, Feb 10, 2017, York University, Osgoode Hall Law School, Professional LLM Program
- Oliver MacLaren and Julie-Anne Pariseau, “The New World Bank Safeguard Standard for Indigenous Peoples: Where do we Start?”, March 2017, World Bank Land and Poverty Conference 2017: Responsible Land Governance – Towards an Evidence-Based Approach (Washington D.C., USA)
- "Alberta's first renewable energy procurement process", with Julie-Anne Pariseau, OKT Blog, December 9, 2016
- "First Alberta Renewable Energy Competitive Process Launching Soon", with Oliver MacLaren, OKT Blog, November 15, 2016
- "Alberta announces funding for Indigenous initiatives in green energy programs", with Julie-Anne Pariseau, OKT Blog, October 19, 2016
- "LRP II and Indigenous engagement: Until we meet again?", with Liora Zimmerman, OKT Blog, September 28, 2016
- "TRC@1: A new relationship with Aboriginal peoples demands economic reconciliation", OKT Blog, May 31, 2016
- "The Challenge of Reconciliation", OKT Blog, November 25, 2014
- "Crib Notes for Election Day", OKT Blog, October 19, 2015
- "Walking the talk: The skinny on self determination", OKT Blog, August 24, 2015
- "What Canada can learn from the World (Bank)", OKT Blog, April 13, 2015
- Oliver MacLaren, “Strategies for Implementing FPIC and Maintaining Peace,” March 2015, World Bank Land and Poverty Conference 2015: Linking Land Tenure and Use for Shared Prosperity (Washington D.C.)
- “The Winds of Change: Economic Relationships between First Nations and Industry“, presentation at As Long as the Rivers Flow, treaty rights conference, 2014.
- Guest Lecture (with L. Land) “Aboriginal Economic Development,” Aboriginal Peoples and Resource Development, Feb 18, 2014, York University, Osgoode Hall Law School, Professional LLM Program.
- Oliver MacLaren (with L. Zimmerman), “McLean’s Mountain Wind Power Project Closes 135.2M Financing” Closing Date October 1, 2013, Lexpert Magazine, January 2014 at 29.
- “The Positive Legacy of Ontario’s Aboriginal Loan Guarantee Program”, OKT Blog Post, November 19, 2013.
- Presentation, “Maintaining Support: What Developers Need to Know”, November 2013, Association of Power Producers of Ontario – APPrO Conference 2013 (Toronto).
- Presentation, “Governance Models for First Nations Participating in Infrastructure and Energy Projects”, May 2013, Insight Conference – Indigenous Lands and Natural Resources Forum: From Debt Management to Wealth Management (Ottawa).
- “Constance Lake First Nation v. Zenyatta Ventures Ltd. – A Step Forward”, OKT Blog Post, May 2, 2011.
- Oliver MacLaren (with M. Barry and K. Sangster), “Tsilhqot’in Nation v. British Columbia” (April 2011) 43:320 Survey Review.
- Oliver MacLaren, Book Review of Native Peoples and Water Rights: Irrigation, Dams and the Law in Western Canada by Kenichi Matsui, (fall 2010) 20:2 Great Plains Research at 266.
- Presentation, November 2010, “Capable of Production: A Summary for Freehold Leaseholders” Freehold Petroleum and Natural Gas Owners Association Workshops.
- Presentation, “Preservation of Indigenous Water Rights through Canada’s Legislative Framework”, June 2010, Canadian Institute of Resources Law Conference – Indigenous Peoples and the Future of Water Management in Alberta (Edmonton).
- Guest Lecturer in Water Law, “Empowered Surrenders: The Role of Indigenous Water Power Rights in the Early Hydroelectric Projects of Alberta”, March 2010, University of Calgary, Faculty of Law.
- Oliver MacLaren (with M. Barry), “Video Evidence and the Land Surveyor in a Changing Technological Environment” (2008) No. 298 Journal of New Zealand Institute of Surveyors.
- Presentation, “Demystifying the First Nations Oil and Gas and Moneys Management Act”, September 2007, Pacific Business and Law Institute Conference – Commercial Real Estate Development on Reserve Land (Calgary).
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, Alberta Law Review: Petroleum Law Edition, (2007) 44:3 Alta L Rev.
- Editor, Alberta Law Review: Petroleum Law Edition, (2006) 44:1 Alta L Rev.